1/3/10

outliers

 
 

i think i know what i'll be doing tomorrow... or what i'd be doing, if i didn't have school tomorrow. unfortunately, today is my last day of winter break. boo. who knows. maybe i'll suddenly get a mysterious illness and not be able to make it. ;)

anyway, here’s how to do it: (according to the coveted)

materials: box of rit dye, salt, detergent, pantyhose (light colored, or flesh color is fine).
1. mix your dye bath… i usually use my mop bucket in the shower.
2. rinse & wring your pantyhose, the gradient will be easier to create if the material is damp.
3. dip the dampened pantyhose into the dye bath, don’t submerge them in the dye, but dip half way or or however you would like to have colored.
4. hang the pantyhose in the shower for an hour or so, maybe two… this will allow gravity to pull the dye to the bottom creating the gradient.
5. rinse the excess dye, and hang dry.

and don't forget to keep the questions coming for my q&a post!! :)

19 comments:

Sally said...

cant wait to see how these turn out x

Rosie Unknown said...

So cool, I will have to give it a try!

Winnie said...

Wow I love those celestial inspired leggings/tights. SO pretty!

Leah said...

Great DIY...have to try this with some of my old tights.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see how your DIY comes out! And booo to break being over :( Happy 2010 to you!! xo, Mel

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Those tights are very fun. Psychedelic.

Fashion Cappuccino said...

Great DIY tutorial!! I've been wanting to have a pair of leggings like that! xoxoxoxo

"coy" colleen said...

love shabad, i'm waiting for my next paycheck so i can splurge on some of their leggings!

E. said...

wow! i'm going to try on my day off today.
check out my blog im new to this 'blog thing' thanks xx

E. said...

wow! i love this, i shall be trying that today with my day off.
check out my blog :Dxxx

Marnie said...

Oh gosh, I can't wait to try this out!
I lurve tye-dye tights <3
x

Anonymous said...

omg this is such a great diy, am loving those marbled tights and would experiment once i get my hands on some dyes! :DD

Anonymous said...

ah, that's genius. definitely worth a try!

LAUREN STRATTON said...

uhhhhhm AMAZING

yiqin; said...

Those leggings are SO fierce.

Alex Dom said...

cute leggings!

Anonymous said...

That's too complicated for me xDD
I'm starting classes next week! yupiii! hope you don't have too much work to do..

Who is your inspiration?
Do your friends like fashion as you do?

Blicious said...

LOVE these!!!!!!!! what a great DIY! xoxo

SabinePsynopsis said...

I recently did this on a jeans and it turned out quite well - tights are a new challenge! Will report back... Sabine x